Institution: Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of Polish Academy of Sciences in Olsztyn, Poland
Position: PhD student (2 positions), PhD scholarship in the project entitled „Transcriptomic and zootechnical exploration of parental contribution to progeny quality in Eurasian perch, Perca fluviatilis” (National Science Centre, Sonata Bis 10) led by Dr. Daniel Żarski
The candidate is expected to have:
- A Master’s degree in fisheries, agriculture, biology or equivalent (expected before the deadline of this application);
- High motivation to work in a multidisciplinary team with fish breeders, fish larvae as well as in molecular laboratory;
- Basic knowledge on biology and animal physiology;
- Basic knowledge on genomic tools (mainly transcriptomics and proteomics) will be appreciated, but not prerequisite;
- Background in animal husbandry, including fish, will be appreciated, but not prerequisite;
- Fluency in English in writing and speaking;
- Good writing and presentation skills;
- Availability, good work organization, team work skills and ability of coping with stress will also be considered.
Description of the tasks:
Description of the tasksEach PhD candidate will be expected to work on either maternal or paternal contribution to progeny quality in Eurasian perch (Perca fluviatilis) being the model species to work with. The general aim of the project is related with the identification of the larvae-quality-related processes (at zootechnical and molecular level) for which either male or female is responsible. Each of the two students will be expected to work arm-in-arm (in a partnership manner) during the experimental (controlled reproduction of fish, egg incubation and larvae rearing operations) and analytical (molecular and in silico analysis) phases of the project. During the 4-year-long, fully funded scholarship each PhD student will be expected to perform research, laboratory analysis, write scientific articles, present the results during the international scientific conferences and – consequently – defend her/his PhD thesis at the Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of Polish Academy of Sciences. High-level mentoring, detailed research agenda as well as full financial support for the research planned will be ensured to both PhD candidates. Appropriate training on controlled reproduction, larviculture, transcriptomics, proteomics and molecular analysis will be provided with the use of high-end, modern research infrastructure.
Type of NCN grant: SONATA BIS – NZ
Deadline for application: July 15th, 2021, 24:00 (Central European Time)
Form of application: via e-mail
Maximum scholarship duration: 4 years
Type of position: PhD scholarship
Position: doctoral student
Start of position: October 1st, 2021 (beginning of the academic year 2020/2021 at the doctoral school)
Location: Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of Polish Academy of Sciences in Olsztyn (Poland), Department of Gamete and Embryo Biology
PhD scholarship: 4 276 PLN per month (~3700 PLN net salary)
Work environment: lively, friendly and interdisciplinary research group and a supportive PI: Dr. Daniel Żarski
How to apply:
Please send your applications via email to email@example.com (in the title of the e-mail please provide: PhD application), including:
- Motivation letter.
- Curriculum vitae of the candidate containing the following information:
- Education history;
- Details on the MSc thesis (title, name of the supervisor, institution awarding the title, date of issuing the diploma);
- Scientific record (scientific articles, conference presentations, book chapters, monographs, books, etc.);
- Awards and other achievements (scholarships, internships, training schools, participation in research projects, etc.);
- Competences (laboratory skills, trainings, practices related with animal care and/or husbandry, etc.);
- Recommendation letter from MSc supervisor or scientific/research mentor (the PI will likely contact the supervisor/mentor before the interview).
Selected candidates will be invited for an on-line interview, during which candidates will be asked to give a 10 min presentation on their recent research activity (e.g. Master’s thesis will be appreciated, but other research activities, also the ones where candidate participated as a co-researcher will also be welcomed, though one topic should be chosen). The applications will be assessed in accordance with the criteria included in Regulations for awarding NCN scholarships for NCN-funded research projects (Annex to Resolution No 25/2019 of the NCN Council). The results of the recruitment will be announced on July 30th, 2021 via e-mail and available on the website. Any questions please direct to Dr. Daniel Żarski (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The successful candidates will be asked to apply to the Interdisciplinary Doctoral School of Agricultural Science at the Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of Polish Academy of Sciences – admission to doctoral school is essential condition for receiving a scholarship.
Please include in your application the following, signed statement:
„I agree to the processing of personal data provided in this document for realising the recruitment process pursuant to the Personal Data Protection Act of 10 May 2018 (Journal of Laws 2018, item 1000) and in agreement with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation)”.
According to Art. 12 Para. 1 and 2 of the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation- hereinafter referred to as GDPR), we would like to inform you that:
- The administrator of your personal data is the Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Olsztyn, 10 Tuwima Str., 10-748 Olsztyn, NIP 739-05-04-515, REGON 001289340, phone: +48 89 523 46 86, e-mail: email@example.com.
- You can contact our Data Protection Officer by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your personal data will be processed on the basis of art. 6 par. 1 lit. a general regulation on data protection and the Labor Code – Act of June 26, 1974 (Journal of Laws of 2018, item 108) for recruitment to work at the Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Olsztyn .
- Personal data will be kept during the recruitment period.
- You have the right to request the administrator to access your personal data, the right to rectify it, delete or limit the processing and the right to withdraw consent to its processing.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory body, the President of the Office for Personal Data Protection.
- Providing personal data is a statutory requirement and is mandatory due to the provisions of labor law, and is voluntary in the remaining scope.
- Your data will not be processed in an automated way.
- The provision of your personal data is voluntary, but the refusal to provide such data may result in the inability to attend the recruitment process.