The Director of the Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Olsztyn is seeking applications for the position of:
a researcher with the responsibilities of the Head of the Department of Biodiversity Protection (DBP) (number of vacancies: 1)
The competition is open to candidates who have at least a Ph. D. degree and meet the conditions outlined in the Act of the Polish Academy of Sciences published on 30 April 2010 (Journal of Laws 2016.72 with subsequent amendments) and in the Regulations for conducting competitions for scientific positions in Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Olsztyn (www.pan.olsztyn.pl)
Information on working conditions and career prospects:
If you appreciate peace and quiet – Poland and Olsztyn would be a good choice for your new place of work and private life. Located in the surrounding of lakes and forests, Olsztyn is one of the biggest tourist centers in Poland. Within the administrative bounds of the city you will find 15 lakes with a very well-developed tourist infrastructure and leisure facilities.
Apart from typical recreation and tourist assets, the city is a vibrant sports center. Olsztyn seats a number of sports clubs with a diversified offer of water activities and many other.
Another Olsztyn’s famous landmark is Kortowo, situated away from the city, in a close neighborhood to the Institute. Kortowo is a university campus recognized as the most beautiful in Poland, and one of the most picturesque in Europe. During the academic year Kortowo is a vibrant student centre, which becomes open for tourists when the vacation season starts. At the campus you will find many clubs, tennis courts, a sport stadium and equestrian facilities. There is also a scenic beach, a restaurant and Kortowo harbor offering water equipment rental service, including sail boats, rowing boats, kayaks, water bikes and surfboats.
In Olsztyn there are also many cultural events, concerts and theatre performances. The most famous are the annual Olsztyn Green Festival and Olsztyn Artistic Summer with a series of appealing attractions.
The management of DBP along with the development and implementation of both basic science and applied research to protect biodiversity will contribute to a significant increase in the candidate’s academic and professional competences. The applicant will be working with an interdisciplinary scientific team, in cooperation with other scientific and research units of the Institute with the possibility of conducting research in the deparment and using the infrastructure of the Research Station at Popielno.
The candidate’s duties will include:
- substantive supervision of the work carried out in the Department (the initial program and directions of DBP (ZOB) research can be found on the website) and cooperation with other research departments of the Institute,
- creative development of research topics enabling the fulfillment of statutory obligations of the Department of Biodiversity Protection. The statutory obligations are defined in the Institute’s Statutes and Research Plans,
- obtaining financing for the research at the Department of Biodiversity Protection from external sources (apart from the finances for statutory activity), such as: research projects funding from the National Science Center, NCRD, FNP, EU framework programs, commercial orders, or other grants and projects.
Essential academic and scientific requirements:
- at least a doctoral degree in biological, agricultural or related sciences,
- significant scientific achievements in the field of science, confirmed by publications in international journals,
- achievements in the field of implementation and patenting activities,
- experience in managing research teams, at least at the level of the management of a large research project,
- long-term academic internship outside the candidate’s home country,
- achievements in the field of obtaining funds for research or participation in international research projects (including, for example, the EU),
- good command on spoken and written English language.
Desired qualifications and experience of the candidate:
- research experience at the international level, including scientific achievements supported by a significant number of publications indexed in the Web of Sciences database and citations in SCI,
- long-term research internship after Ph. D., such as a post-doctoral research fellowship,
- management of at least two research projects,
- management or participation in international research projects and interdisciplinary cooperation,
- experience in implementing scientific results into practice,
- experience in the field of editing scientific and popular science texts,
- ability to work in a team,
- know-how of molecular biology methods, including large-scale genomics, transcriptomics,
- experience in research on live animals,
- knowledge of the methods of statistical analysis and basics of the biostatistics,
- teaching experience and experience in popularizing research,
- organizational skills, also in the field of organizing national and international training and scientific conferences,
- excellent communication skills.
Documents required from the applicant:
- detailed curriculum vitae including scientific achievements,
- list of scientific publications,
- a summary of scientific interests, previous research, teaching and organizational achievements, participation in research projects, etc. (no more than 5 A4 pages),
- a brief description of how the applicants will use their experience in the management of the Biodiversity Protection Department and development of research program to be pursued in the department,
- a copy of the Ph. D. degree or a copy of the document confirming completion of habilitation or Professor title by the candidate,
- a certificate confirming the completion of internships abroad, if applicable,
- at least two references or addresses (also e-mail and telephone) of at least two people who can be requested for an opinion on applicant’s professional activity,
- consent to the processing of Candidate’s personal data for the purposes of the competition.
Applications for the competition should be sent to the following e-mail address: email@example.com or to the following address:
Mrs. Joanna Papurzyńska – Human Resource Manager
Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research Polish Academy of Sciences
Tuwima Street 10
The deadline for submission of documents expires on June 8, 2018 at 12.00 p.m.
During the competition procedure, candidates may be asked for a public (scientific seminar or presentation in front of the Institute’s Scientific Council) presentation of their concept of management and fuction of the Department of Biodiversity Protection of the Institute of Animal Reproduction and food Research (IARFR), PAS in Olsztyn.
The recruitment commission will submit its recommendation to the Deputy Director of the IARFR, PAS in Olsztyn until July 6, 2018.
In case of selection of the applicant, the Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of the PAS is required to be the primary place of work of the candidate.
Planned period of employment:
The first contract will start on October 1, 2018, for a period of 36 months, with the possibility of further extension of the contract. The condition for the extension of the contract will be to secure independent research findings from external sources.