Director of Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of Polish Academy of Science in Olsztyn announces an open call for the position:
assistant professor at the Department of Chemistry and Biodynamics of Food (number of positions: 1)
Research and other activities in which the candidate will take part in:
- study about influence of technological processes on the formation of aroma-active compounds and off-flavors in food products,
- development of extraction methods, identification and quantification analysis of volatile and aromatic compounds of food,
- study about influence of biologically active compounds on functional properties and sensory values of food products,
- study about potential inhibitors of unfavorable chemical compounds formation after heat treatment,
- preparation of projects and scientific publications.
Information on work conditions and perspectives of personal professional development:
If you appreciate peace and quiet – Poland and Olsztyn would be a good choice for your new place of work and private life. Located in the surrounding of lakes and forests, Olsztyn is one of the biggest tourist centers in Poland. Within the administrative bounds of the city you will find 15 lakes with a very well-developed tourist infrastructure and leisure facilities.
Apart from typical recreation and tourist assets, the city is a vibrant sports center. Olsztyn seats a number of sports clubs with a diversified offer of water activities and many other.
Another Olsztyn’s famous landmark is Kortowo, situated away from the city, in a close neighborhood to the Institute. Kortowo is a university campus recognized as the most beautiful in Poland, and one of the most picturesque in Europe. During the academic year Kortowo is a vibrant student centre, which becomes open for tourists when the vacation season starts. At the campus you will find many clubs, tennis courts, a sport stadium and equestrian facilities. There is also a scenic beach, a restaurant and Kortowo harbor offering water equipment rental service, including sail boats, rowing boats, kayaks, water bikes and surfboats.
In Olsztyn there are also many cultural events, concerts and theatre performances. The most famous are the annual Olsztyn Green Festival and Olsztyn Artistic Summer with a series of appealing attractions.
The participation in above mentioned scientific research and tasks regarding the determination of influence of technological processes on the formation of aroma-active compounds, and thus sensory analysis of food products will significantly increase the candidate’s scientific competence in the field of chemistry and analytics of food. In addition, in the Department of Chemistry and Biodynamics of Food are implemented projects in cooperation with the industry and thus it is giving opportunity to increase competence in the field of not only basic science but also applied research areas.
- PhD in agricultural sciences, biological or related,
- scientific achievements: co-author of scientific papers published in international journals indexed in Journal Citation Reports (JCR),
- experience in chromatographic techniques (HPLC-MS, GC-MS) and spectroscopic (UV, spectrofluorimetry),
- experience in analyzing phytochemicals activity,
- experience in techniques of volatile compounds isolation (solid-phase microextraction – SPME and solvent-assisted flavor evaporation- SAFE),
- experience in using olfactometry detector,
- directing at least one research project obtained from external funding,
- realized foreign scientific internships (in total at least one year),
- readiness to give lectures for students of doctoral study in the field of food technology and nutrition,
- very good knowledge of English (both spoken and written).
- ability to transfer knowledge,
- communication skills,
- trainings in the field of chemistry and analytics of food,
- teamwork skills,
- organizational skills.
Documents to be submitted:
- CV with information on previous research work and internships abroad,
- cover letter,
- copy of the diploma,
- documents confirming internships,
- recommendation letter signed by a recognized researcher.
The documents should be sent to the below address (the post stamp will be taken into account):
Mrs. Joanna Papurzyńska
Human Resources Specialist
Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research
Polish Academy of Sciences
Tuwima Street 10
The deadline for sending the documents is March 31, 2018, 12.00. a.m.
The documents could also be sent via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Results of the call will be announced within 21 days since the application deadline.